In honor of National Reading Month, I'd like to offer this book review. "A World of Poetry" is a collection of poems (or thoughts, dreams and ideas) selected by Michael Rosen. These works are from around the world and include ballads, limericks, riddles in rhyme and nonsense verse.I got this book when I went to the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival back in 2002. My Advance Writing teacher took my small class there for a trip. It was my first time there and it was a great experience. It was peaceful, people were jamming with their guitars and everyone was hanging about in reading circles. It was like Woodstock, if I had ever been. The Dodge Poetry Festival is a biennial (happens every two years) event that brings poets, Nobel Laureates, U.S. Poets Laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, poetry enthusiasts and a few hippies from all over.
My fav poem in the book is actually a ballad called "Frankie and Johnny". It's about a woman, Frankie, who has a man, Johnny, who "done her wrong". She loves him, buys him clothes, buys him a pocket watch and then he cheats on her. What a heartbreaking love story. "A World of Poetry" is a great book for anyone who has a varied taste in poetry or isn't sure what their taste is.
----------------
Now playing: Madonna - Forbidden Love
via FoxyTunes
No comments:
Post a Comment