Saturday, July 25, 2009

Blankets, Cosplay Costumes & More

So, I found out that yesterday was National Thread the Needle Day. Seems like a weird day to observe but a useful one nonetheless. Earlier this week, I sewed up a blanket that had tears in it. It started off as a small rip, then I washed it, then there were more. Next thing I know it's filled with rips and I never got around to fixing it. Finally, a year later I took care of the problem. I could have just brought a new one, but it wasn't in my budget just yet.

So, if your clothes or sheets have a rip or a tear, take half an hour out of your day to sew them up. And if you're still working on your cosplay or costume play outift, take some time out for that, too. Here's a picture of the one I made a few years ago of Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena.





















I still can't believe I made an entire outfit without a pattern book, prior skills or common sense. Now that I think about it, it wasn't that hard. Making a skirt is fairly simple. The shirt was sleeveless so that made it even easier. If you're thinking about cosplaying at your local convention, just keep a few things in mind:

1. The weather - If you're going to a convention in NY around February, it won't make sense to wear a bikini-like outfit.

2. Durability - You'll wanna make sure your costume can last a whole day with you walking around, climbing stairs and taking the escalator.

3. G-Rated - Keep in mind cons are attended by all ages. So, keep it tasteful.

4. Ease of Creation - chose a character whose outfit is simple and made of cloth. You'll thank yourself later.

Have any other cosplay suggestions that I might have missed? Post them here.
----------------
Now playing: Teriyaki Boyz - Tokyo Drift (Fast & Furious)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: